I have a few new Heartfelt Creation stamps and dies after visiting the Heirloom Stamp festival in Allentown, PA this past weekend. I water colored the flowers with Kuretake Gansai Tambi Starry Colors after embossing them with black embossing powder. I used a variety of pink Prills for the centers. The background is a mix of distress oxides and distress inks in pinks, reds, and browns. I thought about adding a sentiment of some kind, but I liked the overall look and placement and think it does fine without one on the front.
This is my second project for the Heartfelt Creations Design Team Call. I wanted to do something a little different, I want to try to use Heartfelt Creations but have a slightly more masculine feel. Heartfelt Creations has lots of beautiful papers that are pink and soft green and lavender, they don't have a lot of dark colored papers in their paper collections. However the Blazing Poppy paper collection has this one gorgeous sheet that is black with these ghost like images of poppies and I thought it would be cool to do a Heartfelt Creation project that was done in darker colors...but I wanted it to have some drama also. I decided to do a 12 x 12 photo layout using lots and lots of poppy flowers with a black, white, and red color scheme. I really love the final result.
1. Using 4 pieces of 8.5" x 11" cardstock (White, Black, Red, Maroon, Green) cut pieces that are 6" x 8.5". I used Stardream Metallic Cardstock from Cut Cardstock
2. Use the green paper to cut out 10 leaves from the Delightful Daisy Die set.
3. Using Versamark Ink, stamp the Blazing Poppy Petals stamp twice on the white, black, red, and maroon papers.
4. Add Embossing powder and heat emboss; White powder on the black cardstock, black powder on the maroon cardstock, red powder on the white cardstock, and pearl powder on the red cardstock.
5. Cut out the flowers using the Blazing Poppy die
6. Spritz the flowers and shape using the deluxe flower shaping kit and/or accordion folding the petals. Glue petals together to create various sizes of flowers.
7. Distress the edges of the black paper from the Blazing Poppy paper collection, add tears in assorted places. On some of the large tears curl the paper, distress the curls with walnut stain distress ink.
8. Using modeling paste and the Tim Holtz flourish stencil add flourishes in the upper left and lower right portions of the page.
9. Sprinkle glitter over the still wet modeling paste, allow the paste to dry or dry with a heat tool.
10. Glue the black paper on top of the red paper from the Blazing Poppy Paper collection, allowing the red to show through in various places.
11. Cut out two borders from the Regal Borders die set and two borders from the ornate borders dies set from normal weight white cardstock.
12. Cut one of the rectangular pieces with an oval center from the Blazing Poppy paper collection, cut out the oval center and add a photo in the opening.
13. Glue the borders around the rectangular frame.
14. Add a thick cardstock backing to the photo and then add a double layer of foam tape.
15. Add twine and other elements then adhere down the photo with the sticky foam tape.
16. Arrange and glue down the flowers using hot glue.
17. Add additional decorative elements
You can view the video below:
Heartfelt Creations Blazing Poppy Paper Collection
Heartfelt Creations Blazing Poppy Dies
Heartfelt Creations Blazing Poppy Petals Stamps
Heartfelt Creations Delightful Daisy Dies
Heartfelt Creations Regal Borders Dies
Heartfelt Creations Ornate Borders Dies
Art Glitter Dries Clear Glue
Art Basics Modeling Paste
Sparkle and Sprinkle Lavender Iris Semi Transparent Glitter
Bead Landing Fine Hemp Twine
Stardream Metallic Cardstock
Zing White Embossing Powder
Gary M. Burlin Ultrafine Black Embossing Powder
Lindy's Stamp Gang Terra Cotta Rust Embossing Powder
Wow Pearl Embossing Powder
Heartfelt Creations is having their 2017 Design Team call. I thought I would apply, since I love their style, stamps, and especial their flowers. I need to create three projects for the initial application. The first is an altered Lighthouse using the "Under the Sea" paper, stamps, and die collection. Following the pictures, I will have instructions, including links to the SVG files.
You can find video instructions, including how I color the flowers on my YouTube channel.
Or watch the video below:
4. Assemble the Lighthouse:
Heartfelt Creations Under the Sea 12x12 Paper Pad
Heartfelt Creations Under the Sea Stamps & Dies
Heartfelt Creations Tropical Hibiscus Stamps & Dies
Heartfelt Creations Delux Flower Shaping Kit
Gary M. Burlin Ultrafine Gold Embossing Powder
Heavy Kraft Cardstock (for base of Lighthouse)
Art Glitter Dries Clear glue
Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers
Spectrum Noir Sparkle Pen
Small electric tea light (optional)
To be honest, I wasn't immediately drawn to the Under the Sea release, but then I saw some how great the hibiscus flowers could look and I was sold. I wanted to do a layered piece so I sandwiched a clear plastic sheet in the middle and sponged it with some alcohol ink to add dimension. I'm very happy with the final result.
These flowers take a little patience and time but then end result is worth it.
Heartfelt Creations: Berry Blossoms stamps and dies
Heartfelt Creations: Ornate Borders die
Heartfelt Creations: Decorative Oval die
Heartfelt Creations: Delightful Daisy die (frilly leaves)
Heartfelt Creations: Botanical Wings die (non frilly leaves)
Altenew Label Love stamp (sentiments)
Color Box Pink Pigment Ink
Clear Embossing Powder
Zig Real Brush Markers
Spectrum Noir Sparkle Pen
I'm a big fan of Heartfelt Creations flowers, their stamps and dies are really high quality and I love combining embossing with the stamps then coloring with Zig Clean Color Real Brush markers. I use the Heartfelt Creations Deluxe Flower Shaping kit and each flow takes a little care and effort, but the final result is pretty fantastic. These two cards feature the Heartfelt Creations Blazing Poppies, Ornate Borders, and Berry Blossoms.
I entered Altenew's video challenge #4 and won! I'm super excited. Thanks Altenew. You can find the challenge here: http://altenewblog.com/2016/03/24/video-challenge-4-winners/
Here's the card I made for the challenge:
This is a card featuring Heartfelt Creations Botanical Rose stamps and dies as well as the Heartfelt Creations Ornate Borders.
I used some Wink of Stella to add some shine to the flowers and leaves. The sentiment is from Altenew's label love stamp set.
Kevin S. Devine
Things I like
My page is designed to talk about all things creative. Have a question? Drop me a line!