This is my second project for the Heartfelt Creations Design Team Call. I wanted to do something a little different, I want to try to use Heartfelt Creations but have a slightly more masculine feel. Heartfelt Creations has lots of beautiful papers that are pink and soft green and lavender, they don't have a lot of dark colored papers in their paper collections. However the Blazing Poppy paper collection has this one gorgeous sheet that is black with these ghost like images of poppies and I thought it would be cool to do a Heartfelt Creation project that was done in darker colors...but I wanted it to have some drama also. I decided to do a 12 x 12 photo layout using lots and lots of poppy flowers with a black, white, and red color scheme. I really love the final result.
1. Using 4 pieces of 8.5" x 11" cardstock (White, Black, Red, Maroon, Green) cut pieces that are 6" x 8.5". I used Stardream Metallic Cardstock from Cut Cardstock
2. Use the green paper to cut out 10 leaves from the Delightful Daisy Die set.
3. Using Versamark Ink, stamp the Blazing Poppy Petals stamp twice on the white, black, red, and maroon papers.
4. Add Embossing powder and heat emboss; White powder on the black cardstock, black powder on the maroon cardstock, red powder on the white cardstock, and pearl powder on the red cardstock.
5. Cut out the flowers using the Blazing Poppy die
6. Spritz the flowers and shape using the deluxe flower shaping kit and/or accordion folding the petals. Glue petals together to create various sizes of flowers.
7. Distress the edges of the black paper from the Blazing Poppy paper collection, add tears in assorted places. On some of the large tears curl the paper, distress the curls with walnut stain distress ink.
8. Using modeling paste and the Tim Holtz flourish stencil add flourishes in the upper left and lower right portions of the page.
9. Sprinkle glitter over the still wet modeling paste, allow the paste to dry or dry with a heat tool.
10. Glue the black paper on top of the red paper from the Blazing Poppy Paper collection, allowing the red to show through in various places.
11. Cut out two borders from the Regal Borders die set and two borders from the ornate borders dies set from normal weight white cardstock.
12. Cut one of the rectangular pieces with an oval center from the Blazing Poppy paper collection, cut out the oval center and add a photo in the opening.
13. Glue the borders around the rectangular frame.
14. Add a thick cardstock backing to the photo and then add a double layer of foam tape.
15. Add twine and other elements then adhere down the photo with the sticky foam tape.
16. Arrange and glue down the flowers using hot glue.
17. Add additional decorative elements
You can view the video below:
Heartfelt Creations Blazing Poppy Paper Collection
Heartfelt Creations Blazing Poppy Dies
Heartfelt Creations Blazing Poppy Petals Stamps
Heartfelt Creations Delightful Daisy Dies
Heartfelt Creations Regal Borders Dies
Heartfelt Creations Ornate Borders Dies
Art Glitter Dries Clear Glue
Art Basics Modeling Paste
Sparkle and Sprinkle Lavender Iris Semi Transparent Glitter
Bead Landing Fine Hemp Twine
Stardream Metallic Cardstock
Zing White Embossing Powder
Gary M. Burlin Ultrafine Black Embossing Powder
Lindy's Stamp Gang Terra Cotta Rust Embossing Powder
Wow Pearl Embossing Powder
I created a mini album and a cabinet to go with it. The mini album itself masqeurades as one of the drawers. I included a video to go over some details.
I was asked to be a guest designed over at Stamp Nation where they had a series of fantastic World Card Making Day challenges. Here are the cards I created
These flowers take a little patience and time but then end result is worth it.
Heartfelt Creations: Berry Blossoms stamps and dies
Heartfelt Creations: Ornate Borders die
Heartfelt Creations: Decorative Oval die
Heartfelt Creations: Delightful Daisy die (frilly leaves)
Heartfelt Creations: Botanical Wings die (non frilly leaves)
Altenew Label Love stamp (sentiments)
Color Box Pink Pigment Ink
Clear Embossing Powder
Zig Real Brush Markers
Spectrum Noir Sparkle Pen
This card features Altenew's Beautiful Day stamp set. I used various shades of brown inks from Stampin' Up then fussy cut the middle out. I used some ultrafine gold embossing powder to emboss the sentiment then raised the front with some foam tape.
Heartfelt Creations Delightful Daisy Die
Heartfelt Creations Delightful Daisy Stamp
Heartfelt Creations Decorative Blossoms Corner Die
Gold Mirror Cardstock (The PaperCut)
Spectrum Noir Crystal Clear Sparkle
Gary M. Burlin Ultrafine Gold Embossing Powder
Altenew Label Love Stamp
Stampin' Up Gumball Green Ink
Stampin' Up Daffodil Delight Ink
I'm a big fan of Heartfelt Creations flowers, their stamps and dies are really high quality and I love combining embossing with the stamps then coloring with Zig Clean Color Real Brush markers. I use the Heartfelt Creations Deluxe Flower Shaping kit and each flow takes a little care and effort, but the final result is pretty fantastic. These two cards feature the Heartfelt Creations Blazing Poppies, Ornate Borders, and Berry Blossoms.
I entered Altenew's video challenge #4 and won! I'm super excited. Thanks Altenew. You can find the challenge here: http://altenewblog.com/2016/03/24/video-challenge-4-winners/
Here's the card I made for the challenge:
This is a card featuring Heartfelt Creations Botanical Rose stamps and dies as well as the Heartfelt Creations Ornate Borders.
I used some Wink of Stella to add some shine to the flowers and leaves. The sentiment is from Altenew's label love stamp set.
Over on Stamp Nation (www.thestampnation.com) there was a great class on using stencils. There were so many individual techniques it was actually hard to keep up with them all but I learned some cool techniques and tried some new things. As part of the class there were sponsors and posting cards entered you into a drawing for various prizes. I won a gift certificate to Casual Fridays and got a stamp and dies set with a playing card theme. I created a background using alcohol inks (masked with really thin masking tape in a diamond pattern).
Kevin S. Devine
Things I like
My page is designed to talk about all things creative. Have a question? Drop me a line!