I was curious to try out these new inks. I had seen some videos with Tim Holtz demoing them at CHA 2017 and they looked intriguing.
They do give a kind of chalky appearance but dry very quickly and when combined with Distress Inks I think they give a really great look with lots of depth and interest. Here I combined Broken China, Wilted Violet, Cracked Pistachio, and Faded Jeans in both Oxides and Inks. I used the Inks more like highlights, adding them in very small areas. Once I had blended them I splashed the card with some water. On top of the background I stamped Hero Arts layered Koi stamp set using Versamagic chalk inks.
I love the final look of the card, the distress Inks and Oxides give it such depth, it almost looks 3D.
I've had these vignette boxes for a little while and kept meaning to do a project with them. Then Tim Holtz came out with these little wooden finials and I think they really make a great overall look when added to the vignette box.
Tim Holtz Vignette Box
Tim Holtz Wooden Finials
Tim Holtz Trophy Vase
Tim Holtz Metal Corners
Tim Holtz Foundry Frame
Tim Holtz Cloche Dome
Elizabeth Craft Designs Hydrangea
Inka Gold Copper
Inka Gold Old Gold
Inka Gold Hematite
Flourishes DIY Topiary Stamp set
Flower Soft: Shamrock Green, Meadow, Purple, Ocean, White
Perfect Pearls Gold, Copper
Assorted Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers
Art Glitter Dries Clear Glue
assorted resin and plastic pieces (unknown company)
I AM SO EXCITED! I made it as a semi finalist for the Heartfelt Creations Design Team Call!
If you are visiting my blog from Heartfelt Creations, thanks very much for stopping by! Take a look around at my crafty projects and watch a few videos. If you are so inclined, I would be very appreciative if you would vote for me to join the Heartfelt Creations Design Team.
Here are the three projects I created for the Design Team call:
For my third project for the Heartfelt Creations Design Team call, I decided to do a card that was much more in the "traditional" style that Heartfelt Creations is known for. This card features gorgeous flowers from the Classic Rose, Sun Kissed Fleur and Lilac/Posy Patch stamps and dies. I used a variety of coloring techniques including sponging with daubers, combining embossing with alcohol markers and straight marker to paper using Zig Clean Color Real Brush markers. The shimmer and sparkle comes from multiple sources including glitter, a product from Stampendous called Shaved Ice, and the Spectrum Noir Sparkle Pen. You'll find instructions, a video and a product list below. I hope you enjoy this card.
1. Use one of the Pocket and Flipfold Inserts from pack 'B', glue down the flaps so you have the card face that is slightly shorter than the card back.
2. Using paper from the Heartfelt Creations Classic Rose collection cut paper to cover the front panel, and two inside panels.
3. You'll also cut out one of the thin borders and a sentiment from the paper pack.
4. Glue down the paper on the front panel and the right side of the inner panel.
5. Before adhering the paper to the left side of the inner panel glue down one of the borders from the Regal Borders die cut that has been glued to some backing paper, you'll want to cover the backside of the backing as well (see the video for additional information). The backed regal border will be used as a "handle" of sorts to open the card.
6. Cut out one Decorative Oval, add small foam adhesive squares to the back and adhere it down in the middle of the card front. Add Swarovski crystals or small gems to the front of the oval.
7. Cut out and shape your flowers. For this project I used several Classic Rose flowers of various sizes that I stamped and sponged in Archival inks, several Sun Kissed Fleur flowers of various sizes that I cut from vellum then heat embossed with white embossing powder then colored with Spectrum Noir alcohol markers and two of the Lilac flowers which I colored with Zig Clean Color Real Brush markers and added small vellum flowers to add a bit of dimension.
8. Cut out and color various leaves, for this project I used leaves from the Classic Rose set and leaves from the Delicate Aster die set.
9. Add the Lilac flowers to the left side of the inside panel.
10. Add the flowers to the from panel, adhere with hot glue.
11. Add the sentiment to the front panel and stamp the sentiment on the inside panel.
12. Add Spectrum Noir Sparkle Pen
You can watch the video here:
Heartfelt Creations Pocket and Flipfold Inserts (Kit "B")
Heartfelt Creations Classic Rose Paper Collection
Heartfelt Creations Classic Rose Stamp
Heartfelt Creations Classic Rose Die
Heartfelt Creations Striped Sun Kissed Fleur Stamp
Heartfelt Creations Sun Kissed Die
Heartfelt Creations Lilac / Posy Patch Stamp
Heartfelt Creations Delicate Aster Die
Heartfelt Creations Regal Borders Die
Heartfelt Creations Decorative Oval Die
Art Glitter dries clear glue
Stampendous Shaved Ice
Tree House Studio crystal glitter
Spectrum Noir Sparkle Pen
Archival Inks: Plum, Magenta Hue, Rose Madder, Red Geranium, Emerald Green, Fern Green, Sap Green
Spectrum Noir Alcohol Markers: PP3, PP5, BP6
Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers: Pink, Florescent Pink, Peach Pink, Sugared Almond Pink, Light Green
This is my second project for the Heartfelt Creations Design Team Call. I wanted to do something a little different, I want to try to use Heartfelt Creations but have a slightly more masculine feel. Heartfelt Creations has lots of beautiful papers that are pink and soft green and lavender, they don't have a lot of dark colored papers in their paper collections. However the Blazing Poppy paper collection has this one gorgeous sheet that is black with these ghost like images of poppies and I thought it would be cool to do a Heartfelt Creation project that was done in darker colors...but I wanted it to have some drama also. I decided to do a 12 x 12 photo layout using lots and lots of poppy flowers with a black, white, and red color scheme. I really love the final result.
1. Using 4 pieces of 8.5" x 11" cardstock (White, Black, Red, Maroon, Green) cut pieces that are 6" x 8.5". I used Stardream Metallic Cardstock from Cut Cardstock
2. Use the green paper to cut out 10 leaves from the Delightful Daisy Die set.
3. Using Versamark Ink, stamp the Blazing Poppy Petals stamp twice on the white, black, red, and maroon papers.
4. Add Embossing powder and heat emboss; White powder on the black cardstock, black powder on the maroon cardstock, red powder on the white cardstock, and pearl powder on the red cardstock.
5. Cut out the flowers using the Blazing Poppy die
6. Spritz the flowers and shape using the deluxe flower shaping kit and/or accordion folding the petals. Glue petals together to create various sizes of flowers.
7. Distress the edges of the black paper from the Blazing Poppy paper collection, add tears in assorted places. On some of the large tears curl the paper, distress the curls with walnut stain distress ink.
8. Using modeling paste and the Tim Holtz flourish stencil add flourishes in the upper left and lower right portions of the page.
9. Sprinkle glitter over the still wet modeling paste, allow the paste to dry or dry with a heat tool.
10. Glue the black paper on top of the red paper from the Blazing Poppy Paper collection, allowing the red to show through in various places.
11. Cut out two borders from the Regal Borders die set and two borders from the ornate borders dies set from normal weight white cardstock.
12. Cut one of the rectangular pieces with an oval center from the Blazing Poppy paper collection, cut out the oval center and add a photo in the opening.
13. Glue the borders around the rectangular frame.
14. Add a thick cardstock backing to the photo and then add a double layer of foam tape.
15. Add twine and other elements then adhere down the photo with the sticky foam tape.
16. Arrange and glue down the flowers using hot glue.
17. Add additional decorative elements
You can view the video below:
Heartfelt Creations Blazing Poppy Paper Collection
Heartfelt Creations Blazing Poppy Dies
Heartfelt Creations Blazing Poppy Petals Stamps
Heartfelt Creations Delightful Daisy Dies
Heartfelt Creations Regal Borders Dies
Heartfelt Creations Ornate Borders Dies
Art Glitter Dries Clear Glue
Art Basics Modeling Paste
Sparkle and Sprinkle Lavender Iris Semi Transparent Glitter
Bead Landing Fine Hemp Twine
Stardream Metallic Cardstock
Zing White Embossing Powder
Gary M. Burlin Ultrafine Black Embossing Powder
Lindy's Stamp Gang Terra Cotta Rust Embossing Powder
Wow Pearl Embossing Powder
Heartfelt Creations is having their 2017 Design Team call. I thought I would apply, since I love their style, stamps, and especial their flowers. I need to create three projects for the initial application. The first is an altered Lighthouse using the "Under the Sea" paper, stamps, and die collection. Following the pictures, I will have instructions, including links to the SVG files.
You can find video instructions, including how I color the flowers on my YouTube channel.
Or watch the video below:
4. Assemble the Lighthouse:
Heartfelt Creations Under the Sea 12x12 Paper Pad
Heartfelt Creations Under the Sea Stamps & Dies
Heartfelt Creations Tropical Hibiscus Stamps & Dies
Heartfelt Creations Delux Flower Shaping Kit
Gary M. Burlin Ultrafine Gold Embossing Powder
Heavy Kraft Cardstock (for base of Lighthouse)
Art Glitter Dries Clear glue
Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers
Spectrum Noir Sparkle Pen
Small electric tea light (optional)
I created a mini album and a cabinet to go with it. The mini album itself masqeurades as one of the drawers. I included a video to go over some details.
My neighbor turned 100 this week! I can't even fathom living that long, the sights and changes she has seen over the years.
I made a cake for her party this week and had some crafty friends send me some birthday cards for her as well. Her are a few pictures of the cake
I was asked to be a guest designed over at Stamp Nation where they had a series of fantastic World Card Making Day challenges. Here are the cards I created
Amy's Warden does a monthly soap challenge and I was excited to see that this month's challenge was to pipe soap like you would with icing and make soap flowers. There was a focus on Russian Piping tips as well. I ran with that theme and made an entire cake out of soap in the style of a naked wedding cake. Everything you see is cold process soap!
Kevin S. Devine
Things I like
My page is designed to talk about all things creative. Have a question? Drop me a line!